Five Fact Thursday - Things you didn't know about Waterloo #History #Regency #Romance
1. Wellington described the battle as “the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life”.
2. After the battle, scavengers pulled the teeth from dead bodies to sell on and be made into dentures.
3. Some historians believe Napoleon’s haemorrhoids prevented him from concentrating fully on the battle. Others say this is a myth fabricated by Napoleon’s supporters as an excuse for his defeat.
4. After Napoleon’s defeat, Wellington was paid £200,000. In 2015 the Royal Engineers calculated that would be over £15 million.
5. Locals burned the dead soldiers' bodies and the dead horses. Before they did, they ripped the horseshoes from the animals' feet so they could sell them.